You should know by now that there is no quick fix when it comes to fitness. If you want to see your body and your health change, then acai juice is not going to be the answer. Instead, it’s about a lifestyle change, but what does a “fit” person's life look like? Today, I want to give you 7 steps you can take that will help you create a fit and fulfilling life. Perhaps there are a few that you can incorporate into your own…
1) Believe in yourself To do what it takes to build a new lifestyle, you must first BELIEVE that you are capable. This is most important when
the changes you are making do not show immediate results. Creating a “fit” lifestyle does not happen overnight, just as the lifestyle you lead now has taken years to create. So, as you set out on your quest, you need to believe that your efforts, no matter the results, will eventually lead you to success. If you do this, then any failure is just a road bump, not a dead end.
2) Respect your body Exercise should not be about punishing your body, it’s about healing it. If you always see the gym as a place to beat yourself up, then it’s going to be hard to make exercise a life-long habit. Instead, the goal should be to leave the gym feeling better than when you started. You should feel energized, not exhausted. You should have LESS pain, not more. Never see exercise as a means to an end. Rather, think of it as a daily dose of physical and mental medicine.
3) Make excuses TO workout If you are struggling to get fit, chances are you take every opportunity to miss a workout. Your nose is runny, your foot has a cramp, you have a project due at work. Fit people do not make excuses why they can’t workout. Instead, they find reasons they can’t MISS a workout. Runny nose? Exercise helps to boost immunity. Foot hurts? Blood flow helps to recover. Stressed at work? Exercise helps focus the mind and makes you more productive. They take this ammunition and then FIND the time to exercise. Don’t ever think that your life will all of a sudden allow for a perfect exercise routine. You have to make that time happen, and then find every excuse to make it happen.
4) Eat and sleep according to your goals You cannot expect your body to function properly if you do not give it what it needs. Optimal nutrition and sleep is not about being “healthy” (a word which has oddly taken on a negative connotation), it’s about allowing you to live a better life. Any time you make the choice to eat poorly or skimp on your sleep, you are choosing to have a bad day. You are choosing to feel lethargic, bloated, and ill-tempered. You are choosing to hurt your body and your mind, and you are choosing to lead a lower quality of life. Choosing to eat and sleep well, however, leaves you feeling energized, motivated, and will create optimal fitness.
5) Track your progress
Having a goal is not so much about the goal itself, but the process that gets you to that goal. It's important that you have something to track to make sure that your actions are actually working! This is why you should never get too attached to a goal, but rather, use it as a benchmark to judge if what you are doing is working. Take weight loss as an example. If you are trying to lose weight, but the results are not coming, all you know this that there is still something holding you back. This does not mean that you will NEVER lose weight or that you are a failure or that it is too hard. It just means that the steps you have taken were not the right ones. So use this information to inform your decisions but do not get overly obsessed with the goal.
6) Ask for help Possibly the most undervalued action you can take to get and stay fit is to ask others to help. Whether it’s your family, friends, or a finding a coach to help you stay on track, everyone needs support. We often are embarrassed or ashamed when we struggle, but what you must realized is that we ALL struggle. We all have areas of our lives that we wish we were better at, but only those who seek and lean on others for support are able to overcome those struggles.
7) Never give up “If at first you do not success…try, try again.” We have all heard this before, but how many of us can actually say that we LIVE by the phrase? If there is something you want, go after it, and in time, you WILL reach your goal.
The good news: almost all things that you could want, someone has done before. And if someone has done it before, then there is no reason that you cannot. Even better news: 99% of fitness-specific goals have DEFINITELY been done before. And even if it IS something that has never been done, know this: Every day there are millions of things being done that have never been done before, so there is no reason why you cannot be the first at something as well! These 7 steps, taken together or slowly incorporated into your life over time, will set you on a clear path to better health and fitness. If you feel the need for better guidance, the team here at Mint Condition Fitness is ready to help.
So if you are out of shape, tired, or frustrated with your level of fitness, commit to yourself and your goals today and give us a call at (408) 370-1739.