Whether it is from sitting too much, a past injury, overuse, or underuse, the shoulders have a tendency to tighten up as we age. One of the biggest contributing factors to this is that our posture tends to get worse as we get older.
Unless you are making a point of working to maintain good posture, daily life in the modern world will start to take its toll.
The shoulders and upper back will start to round. Your hips will get tight. And after a while, it gets hard to stand up straight and move well.
And this is where shoulder issues can really start to show.
Because when you lose your posture, you also lose the ability to get your arms over your head. Your shoulders, back, and chest are so tight that you feel stuck when you try to move.
But it doesn't have to be this way! The key is doing the right exercises to "undo" all the stress you put on your shoulders and upper back in your daily life.
How to Get Your Shoulders to Move Better
When it comes to getting better movement in your shoulders and upper body, there are 2 things you need to do:
1) Sit Less. The more you sit, the more you will reinforce poor posture. This could mean getting up and moving around a few times a day, getting a standing desk, or avoiding the couch when you get home. The less sitting the better!
2) Move Right. The exercises you do (or don't do) on a daily basis are what determine if your shoulders are going to be improving. When you incorporate the right exercises, you will be able to:
- Loosen up your muscles
- Improve posture
- Avoid injury
- Move more freely
These things are only going to happen, however, if you are consistent with your exercise. 3x/week is the minimum, but when it comes to moving better, 5+ times per week is ideal.
So, if you would like to start moving and feeling better, check out our video below, and see which exercises you can start using to improve your shoulder stiffness (and overall movement) today!
As you can see, shoulder tightness is something that anyone can work to improve, which is why we have helped so many like you to move better, improve posture, and get back to being active.
If this is something you need help with, I would like to invite you to participate in our 28-Day Kickstart Program.
This program will give you the exact exercises you need to start feeling better and a coach to show you how to do them correctly while keeping you accountable to your plan.
In this program you will get:
- Full fitness and goals assessment
- Personalized fitness coaching to teach you the exact exercises you need to safely and effectively move better and build stamina
- A simple meal plan to help you decrease inflammation
- 1-on-1 success coaching to help guide you as you work to change your diet, exercise, and lifestyle habits
You can move better, get stronger, and have more flexibility and energy, you just need a program that can show you what is right for you.
Click here to learn more and take back control of your health and fitness today!
Mint Condition Fitness empowers people to take control of their fitness and fully enjoy the life they have built.